Alexander Family Library
The Reading Area
The Library is a wonderful resource for both genealogical and local history research. If you cannot come to Harrisburg to do your own research, the Librarian can conduct on-site research for an additional fee. If you are interested in using this service, please complete a query form to help us better serve you. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
A partial list of our library resources includes:
- Church records (including baptisms, marriages and death records) for many Dauphin County churches, ranging back into the 1700's in some instances.
- Card file of newspaper clippings taken from local newspapers from the late 1700's to the late 1800's of weddings, deaths, etc. These have been copied onto index cards and alphabetized for the researcher's convenience.
- Genealogical folders, by surname and cross-referenced to related families that have been donated by researchers to help others.
- Card file of Dauphin County Births from 1893 to 1906.
- Card file of Dauphin County Deaths from 1893 to 1906.
- Cemetery inventories from (many) various Dauphin County cemeteries.
- Pennsylvania Archives - a complete set.
- Civil War, History of Pennsylvania Volunteers by Bates (5 volumes).
- Civil War, regimental units (various).
- Revolutionary War, Pictorial Field Book, B. J. Lossing.
- Spanish-American War, Pennsylvania Volunteers.
- World War I, 28th Division, Col. Edward Martin (5 volumes).
- Dauphin County histories including biographical data published by Kelker, Egle, Donehoo and Rupp.
- Egle's Notes & Queries, indexed.
- Various atlases from the late 1800's.
- Some Sanford's maps of Harrisburg.
- Various published genealogies of county families.
- Dauphin County Histories published in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
- Miscellaneous file folders of newspaper clippings, etc., on many topics.
- Local History books from many Dauphin County communities.
- Books on covered bridges, railroads, canals, etc.
- Will Book Extracts 1785 - 1827.
- Orphan's Court Extracts 1785-1817.
- Pennsylvania Colonial Records - complete set.
- Harrisburg City Directories from 1839 to 1999.
- Some early published church records, wills, and orphans' court records for Berks, Lancaster, and Lebanon Counties.
- Historic Harrisburg Association's Architectural Library